February 3, 2017 marks national Go Red for Women day. Heart disease does not affect just women. Did you know that 40% of deaths in the United States are due to cardiovascular disease? 
With February being American Heart Health month, practice one heart healthy behavior this month that you can work into your lifestyle. We suggest planning ahead by keeping heart-healthy snacks on hand. Here are some portable, healthy go-to’s:
- Nuts and Seeds: High in fiber and healthy fats, scooping 1/3 cup of a variety of nuts and seeds into a snack bag is a simple yet filling.
- Chickpea Snacks: Loaded with fiber and protein, these are a great low-fat snack option. One of my favorites is Biena Foods, which has a wide selection of on-the-go chickpeas for your convenience.
- Sliced vegetables: The options here are endless- slice cucumbers, carrots, celery, bell peppers, or whatever vegetables you prefer. High in fiber and essential micronutrients, you can’t go wrong.
- Olives: High in vitamin E, healthy fats, iron, and copper, olives are an easy, flavorful snack option. Try these pre-packaged Pearl Olives for an easy on-the-go option.
- Clementines: Citrus fruits are in season this winter, so these vitamin C rich fruits are a great snack to keep in your bag.
- Bananas with Nut Butter: Simply slice a banana and spread a nut butter of your choice between two slices. Filled with potassium, fiber, and unsaturated fats, this snack packs flavorful and nutritional punch.
- Apple slices: Enjoy this with some nut butter or Greek yogurt. Filled with fiber and micronutrients, slice these up yourself or get these pre-packaged ones.
Tried any of these snacks out? Tag me on Instagram @skylargriggsrd so I can see your heart healthy act!
- With cardiovascular disease rising as a prominent health concern, it is important to take care of your heart.
- Eating heart healthy snacks such as fruits, vegetables, or nuts and seeds can help improve your heart health.