It is common that people believe snacks are “bad”, but they can actually be an important part of your diet (as long as you are picking the right ones 😉). Snacks can provide energy when you need a midday pick me up or before exercising. Having a healthy snack between meals can also decrease your hunger and keep you from overeating at meal times. For people managing their weight, choosing healthy snacks can be challenging especially when you are bombarded with all kinds of claims on labels at the grocery store. I advise my clients to keep healthy snacks in their houses, cars, work desks, and bags so making healthier choices can be easy and convenient! When it comes to snacks, the simpler the ingredients and the more fiber they have, the better. Below I’ve provided information to educate you on the importance of fiber and how to incorporate it into your diet as well as a list of my favorite fiber-filled snacks from Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and Market Basket. Enjoy!
Benefits of Fiber:
- Boosts metabolism.
- Improves satiety & decreases hunger.
- Controls blood sugar levels.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Normalizes bowel movements & helps maintain bowel health.
- Lowers risk of cardiovascular disease & cancer.
How to Spot a High-Fiber Snack:
- Choose snacks with at least 3-4g of fiber per serving.
- Pick whole food sources the majority of a time.
- Aim for 30-40g per day (in adults).
- Snack Formula: Fiber + Protein or Healthy Fat.
- Spread intake throughout the day (a few grams at each snack and meal).
- Stay on top of your fluid intake.
Salt & Pepper Pistachios
GG Scandinavian Fiber Crispbread
Rhythm Kale Chips & Cauliflower Bites
Nut Butter Packets
Fiber: 2g (Pair w/ fruit or carrots for more fiber!)
Brad’s Veggie Flats
Raw or Dry Roasted Nuts
Dry Roasted Edamame
Kind Bar Minis
Mission Carb Balance Tortillas
NuGo Slim Bars