By: Jacqueline Gilpin
The holiday season is a time of joy, celebration, and togetherness. However, it often comes hand in hand with tempting treats, busy schedules, and a change from regular healthy routines. Staying healthy during the holidays doesn’t mean depriving yourself of festive delights; it’s about finding a balance that allows you to enjoy the season without compromising your well-being. To help you navigate the holidays while maintaining your health, Newbury Street Nutrition has put together our top five tips to honor your mental and physical well-being amongst the festivities!
- Amidst the holiday feasts and sweet treats, strive to practice mindful eating. Savor each bite, and pay attention to flavors, textures, and aromas. Eating slowly allows your body to recognize when it’s satisfied and prevents overeating. When building your plate, try to serve yourself the amount that truly honors your hunger at that time. Additionally, making a smaller plate will discourage overeating and reduce food waste! This is a time of year of delicious food and good company, therefore, be grateful to those around you and take time to appreciate your meal.
- Maintaining a regular exercise routine can be challenging during the holidays, but it’s greatly beneficial for your physical and mental well-being. Find creative ways to stay active such as carving out an hour or so in the morning to get some movement in, taking family walks after meals, organizing outdoor games, or trying a holiday-themed workout routine. In addition to burning calories, exercise boosts your mood, reduces stress, and increases your energy levels, which are key components of a healthy and happy holiday season.
- With all the festivities, it’s easy to forget the importance of staying hydrated. Aim to drink plenty of water throughout the day, for a goal of at least 64 oz each day. If you are enjoying alcoholic beverages at parties, be sure to switch between water and alcohol to properly stay hydrated. Water helps maintain your energy levels, supports digestion, and can even help control your appetite. Carry a reusable water bottle with you, and consider infusing it with fruits like lemon or cucumber for a refreshing twist.
- Amidst the hustle and bustle of holiday preparations, avoid compromising your sleep. Lack of sleep can weaken your immune system, increase stress levels, and negatively impact your overall health. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Establish a relaxing bedtime routine, create a comfortable sleep environment, and limit screen time before bedtime to ensure you get the rest you need to enjoy the holiday festivities fully.
Balance and Moderation:
- The key to a healthy holiday season is finding balance and practicing moderation. Allow yourself to indulge in your favorite holiday meals/treats, but try to balance these foods with nutrient-dense options and listen to your body’s cues. Incorporate a protein source and a fibrous vegetable source into your holiday meal to increase satiety and nutrient density! Remember, while the holidays are a time to celebrate, honoring your health and wellness will help you to feel energized and present through this season.
This holiday season, embark on a journey of health and happiness by incorporating these tips into your festive celebrations. By practicing mindful eating, staying active, staying hydrated, prioritizing sleep, and embracing balance and moderation, you can savor the joy of the season while nurturing your well-being.
Cheers to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling holiday season!