As we enter 2021 (finally!), you may be considering establishing a few health or nutrition resolutions in order to jumpstart the New Year. Exercise plays an essential role in balancing blood sugars, supporting immune health, and maintaining a healthy weight. Finding a style of exercise that works for you can be hard to stay committed to post-January. Below are 8 tips we’ve curated to help you meet your 2021 fitness goals.
Set attainable goals.
The more you accomplish, the better you will feel! It’s best to start small and build-up to the bigger fitness goals you are aiming for. If you’re just beginning your fitness journey, a simple 15-minute walk during a work break can be the perfect place to start. Often our ambition gets the best of us and we want to achieve the absolute most we can; In reality, we should focus on winning tomorrow and not the entire year.
Focus on showing up.
Putting your workout clothes on is half the battle! Even just getting dressed will make you more likely to head to the gym or be active. Leave your sneakers by the door as a reminder to get moving. It’s important to be physically active each day, even if it’s just for a few minutes. The more you exercise within your daily routine, the easier it will be to commit to your goals.
Carve out time within your schedule to exercise. It’s best to stick to a specific time of day to help create the habit, but if you miss the morning – simple schedule in a fitness break later on!
Reinforce the habit of working out with a reward! Make a yummy post-workout smoothie, or use your favorite products in a luxurious post-workout shower. You will feel so much more accomplished after your workout, setting yourself up for a productive day.
Don’t skip twice.
Don’t get me wrong, taking a rest day is absolutely essential for recovery and overall health. However, skipping more than two days may lead to a loss in momentum. Try to stick to one rest day, and then get back after it.
Do what makes you feel good.
Showing up for your workout is much easier if it’s an exercise you enjoy and find motivating. Discover what works best for you and stick to it!
Technology is your friend
Habit tracking apps can be a helpful tool to staying on track to accomplishing your goals as well as tracking your progress. It’s always motivational to remind ourselves how far we’ve come. Check out Productive for IOS. Some of my clients also enjoy their Apple Watch for fitness tracking, or the Peloton Bike for on-demand spin classes.
Begin a gratitude practice
Practicing gratitude in your daily life helps to improve mental health and promote happiness. Don’t make weight loss your only goal. Exercise is not only beneficial for body composition, but also for optimal mood, immune, and digestive health! Make sure to pat yourself on the back for committing to your workout and celebrate the small wins!
During 2020, the internet was my best friend when I needed a good sweat. There are tons of online fitness subscriptions that have a wide variety of workouts to choose from. If you’re looking for some high intensity sweaty workouts Crunch Live, FitFusion, and Sweat are all great options.
- https://www.crunchlive.com A Crunch Live subscription includes access to over 85 different workouts 24-7 along with customizable workout plans for people on the go. – 90 day free trial, $9.99/month
- https://www.fitfusion.com With a FitFusion subscription you have access to workouts from top trainers like Jillian Michales, Tara Stiles, and Cassey Ho. Some of their classes include barre, cardio, kickboxing and more. – 7 day free trial, $9.99/month
- https://www.sweat.com A Sweat subscription includes workouts from trainers like Kayla Itsines, Brittany Williams and Kelsey Wells. With the Sweat app you can link your workouts with your Apple Watch and gain access to workout overviews, trainer videos, and exercise instructions right at your wrist.- $19.99/month
If you’re looking for some low intensity workouts and a deep stretch, there are tons of different online yoga subscriptions to choose from.
- https://browse.theunderbelly.com/browse With a subscription to The Underbelly, you will have access to different videos that include many basic postures and breathing techniques. A great subscription for a beginner yogi! – 2 week free trial, $9.99/month
- https://fwfg.com With a Find What Feels Good subscription you will gain access to hundreds of videos guided by seasoned yogi Adriene Mishler. Her videos include yoga for anxiety, digestion, better sleep and a wide variety of guided meditations. – 7 day free trial, $9.99/month
- https://www.downdogapp.com With a Down Dog subscription you will be able to enjoy live yoga classes anywhere and anytime; perfect for some remote relaxation! One of their instructors, Melissa Davidson, holds a six week remote reset that is devoted to wellness, connection and reflection and helps to create positive change from within. – 7 day free trial, $8.00/month
Need something free? You can find thousands of fitness videos on YouTube including cardio and HIIT workouts, as well as yoga for some much needed holiday relaxation. Check out the creators below!
- Popsugar Fitness
- Yoga with Adriene
- Body Project
- Fitness Blender
I hope these tips help you stay committed to your exercise regime. Wishing you a healthy and happy New Year!